Cleveland Arcade is located in downtown Cleveland, Ohio which is a structure of two nine-story building of Victorian-era. These buildings are joined by a five-story arcade which has a glass skylight that spans over 91 meters, along the four balconies. It was built in 1890 by Detroit Bridge Co. worth $867,000 and was opened on May 31, 1890. The construction of Cleveland Arcade was financed by Charles F. Brush, John D. Rockfeller, Marcus Hanna and several other wealthy people of Cleveland. Cleveland Arcade is known as one of the earliest indoor shopping malls in U.S. The architects of Cleveland Arcade were John Eisenmant and Geo. H. Smith. It was modified in 1939 by adding some structural support and remodeling the Euclid Avenue entrance. Both were designed in an Art Deco fashion. The Euclid Avenue entrance was modified with the sculpture of two “medallions” of former presidents Stephen Harkness and Charles Brush, of the Cleveland Arcade Company.
The Cleveland Arcade was the first building to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places in Cleveland. The Cleveland Arcade had suffered along with the decline of downtown Cleveland and Euclid Avenue in 1970. Although Arcade never lost its wealth, the tenants felt the effect of Cleveland's population moving towards the suburbs. The Arcade was threatened with destruction due to the plan of some developers to build a 20-story office tower. Fortunately, Arcade got a more sensible owner and was maintained for several decades. In 2001, the Arcade was redeveloped by the Hyatt Corporation into Cleveland's first Hyatt Regency hotel. Top three floors of the atrium area and two towers were occupied by the Hyatt Regency. The two lower floors of the building area remain open to the public with a food court and retail merchants.
The Arcade contains a mixture of materials and techniques which reflects the rapid changes in the building technology. It had load-bearing walls on both facades of the central entrance towers. The roofs and floors of the Arcade are supported on a skeleton of oak and iron columns, steel beams and wrought iron. The Arcade roof beam was being hinged at the base and the apex.
Arcade, once known as the Crystal Palace of the Cleveland has always been one of the best known landmarks of Cleveland. The Cleveland Arcade offered offices in the two ten-story towers, restaurants among the five indoor balconies and unique shops and services. The arcade located at East Fourth Street is one of the major attractions in Cleveland from Progressive field, home of the Cleveland Indians to Rock and Roll Hall of fame.